Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Coral: The New Red


Coral is a great alternative to red. Although it is not necessarily a spring color it reminds me of Spring/Summer. It looks great with black and white or even charcoal. I like how Jamie Drake used it in this bedroom. The coral gives the serene palette a punch of color.


Architectural Digest, April 2013, Jamie Drake

Hutton Wilkinson's quote in the latest House Beautiful is perfect: "Coral is my idea of beige." 

            


But while Hutton Wilkinson might do entire rooms in coral, like the one above, I like using coral as a strong accent, like how Katie Ridder designed the frame of this staircase. Gorgeous!

From the book Katie Ridder Rooms (Vendome, Nov. 2011)


Baker Furniture's Marsan Chair from The Tony Duquette Collection

It is typical to associate coral with the beach, but I see it being used in a more sophisticated way. I love it on furniture and on doors (the wallpaper and door below are by Katie Ridder).



Coral pairs so beautifully with charcoal, doesn't it? The combination and the texture in this Mokum fabric is so appealing.

Mokum fabric Mauritius 121 Coral



We used this coral Cirque lantern from Urban Electric in a modern beach home.

Coral birdhouse, House Beautiful, April 2013



Stut X-Large Table from Blu Dot


I would use coral in every project if I could. There is so much product available in coral.

If you would like to utilize my interior design services to bring more color and life into your home, please contact me through the Pal + Smith website, where you can see a small sampling of the interiors we have created for clients as well as our boutique furniture collection.


No comments:

Post a Comment