Thursday, April 25, 2013

Leather & Lace

Leather and lace, to me, are all about the masculine and feminine energies, and I love them both when it comes to fashion at home and fashion apparel.

When I see a picture I'm drawn to I immediately tear it out of a magazine or scan it from a book. Those pictures usually become catalysts for mood boards, like this picture of Marion Cotillard in the perfect lace dress. I love the vintage 1940s look this image exudes. 

Marion Cotillard in Vogue July 2010

The sofa she's sitting on reminds me of one that I designed based on a vintage piece. I like the channeling in the sofa back but you should only do that when planning to use a solid color fabric. I wanted to use an Osborne and Little damask with a lace pattern on my Harper sofa so I opted for a flat back to show off the lacy design.

Harper Sofa from Pal + Smith


Departures Magazine 

There is so much crossover in fabrics for fashion and for upholstery. I'm dying to use this lace Lacroix fabric that Designers Guild launched during Maison and Objet in 2012.

Macarena by Christian Lacroix on Designers Guild



Kyle Bunting uses the same positive negative space of a lace pattern in his Butterfly hide rug. 

Butterfly Rug by Kyle Bunting


Leather can give an interior a weightier, masculine feel. I like the woven leather stand of Bottega Veneta's first lighting collection introduced last year. At Bottega Veneta, 877-362-1715.

Departures Magazine
Desk Lamp from Bottega Veneta at Da Vinci Home

Kyle Bunting once again champions the male aesthetic in his amazing collections of leather rugs, pillows and upholstery. This pillow is fun and trendy. It's design by Geoffrey Bradfield.

 Louis in Extremis by Geoffrey Bradfield for Kyle Bunting

This is such a pretty room. Though on first look the room has a masculine vibe, the pattern in the rug reminds me of lace and the coffee table is delicate. It's definitely got both yin and yang -- and a lot of style. LOOK!

Kyle Bunting Interior


Next week, you'll get my view on animal prints!

1 comment:

  1. This is a wonderful article, Given so much info in it, These type of articles keeps the users interest in the website, and keep on sharing more ... good luck.
    black leather sofa and loveseat

    ReplyDelete