Friday, April 12, 2013

Flower Power



Floral motifs have always been a favorite of mine in design, and they are really a trend in fashion this year. These Dior ads are particularly eye-catching.

Christian Dior, Spring Summer 2013

Christian Dior, Spring Summer 2013

A traditional designer whose sense of color I relate to, Katie Ridder, puts the flowers on the walls rather than in the upholstery. I like that the seating and even the rug is all solid colors. The decoration is in the wallpaper.

Katie Ridder Rooms by Heather Smith MacIsaac

This classic De Gournay wallpaper with birds on branches looks like a painting.

Luxe magazine, Winter 2013

I adore Designers Guild. The coloration is perfect. I'm a Southern California girl, and it's interesting that one of my favorite colorists, Tricia Guild, is British. 

 Pandora Peony cushion from Designers Guild

Tricia Guild's exaggerated sense of scale is so dramatic.

Pavonia Cobalt Cushion from Designers Guild


Here's a pillow I designed using Osborne & Little fabric with a floral design in the same large scale.
Akemi Decorative Pillow from Pal + Smith


Stylized floral patterns usually are what I gravitate to, but this traditional Designers Guild wallcovering really caught my eye. I love it with the black background just as much as the white, which usually is my preference.


Rugosa Garden wallcovering from Designers Guild


Rugosa Garden wallcovering from Designers Guild


Rugosa Large Scented Candle from Designers Guild

So you get that I like floral patterns that are larger than life? Well, look at this rug I designed. The flowers and leaves look big, right? Now look at the picture below it of the room where I placed the rug, and you can see how huge the flowers are. Pretty dramatic!

Azore rug from Pal + Smith

Pal + Smith interior design of a living room, with Azore rug, Akemi table, Shoji floor lamps and Chelsea sofa designed by Pal + Smith creative director Melissa Palazzo

If you would like to utilize my interior design services to bring more color and life into your home, please contact me through the Pal + Smith website, where you can see a small sampling of the interiors we have created for clients as well as our boutique furniture collection.


2 comments:

  1. This is such a gorgeous inspiration for spring renovation. Totally smitten by that flowered walls. :) Got my eye on your next posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous post Melissa. The florals you've chosen are fresh and give the traditional floral a more modern vibe. Love the Pal+Smith Azore rug! I have your blog in my blog roll but also want to do a link in one of my posts. This one could be perfect and it features that gorgeous rug.
    Keep an eye out!
    Happy Weekend,
    Heather @Stylemindchic

    ReplyDelete